Author Topic: Is this bike worth getting!?  (Read 50020 times)

icurs

• View Profile
    • Email
Is this bike worth getting!?
« on: April 18, 2010, 01:04:03 PM »
Looking to buy something small like a 250cc sport bike and there isn't that many to choose from in the United States.

Its either the:
1. Kawasaki Ninja 250r
2. Hyosung GT250R
3. and now the Megelli 250r.

I guess the reliability of these three bikes is in that order as well with the last two debatable. There is a video with Johnny Tai explaining that the quality control is done by Megelli, the original designer, but produced in China for cost savings.

2010-MyChinaMoto-Dealer-Expo-Report.mp4

Does anyone know how difficult is to get replacement parts from Bennche?

I read from another forum that the engine comes from SYM. I think its a reputable company in Taiwan. But this could be only for the 125 not the 250.

http://www.othermakes.net/2010/02/23/bennche-relieves-qlink-of-us-distribution-of-megelli/

Says that the bike is manufactured by Hisun, what is the reliability with this company?

BoyMegelli

• View Profile
Re: Is this bike worth getting!?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 10:04:09 PM »
I think it is worth as China manufacturer like Loncin who built 250cc engine for US bound Megelli is actually very experienced in manufacturing motorcycle engine. From my reading on the internet I found out that assembler like HSUN who actually assemble the US bound Megelli is also a very experienced company.

da_vichy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 03:11:53 AM »
Looking to buy something small like a 250cc sport bike and there isn't that many to choose from in the United States.

Its either the:
1. Kawasaki Ninja 250r
2. Hyosung GT250R
3. and now the Megelli 250r.

I guess the reliability of these three bikes is in that order as well with the last two debatable. There is a video with Johnny Tai explaining that the quality control is done by Megelli, the original designer, but produced in China for cost savings.

2010-MyChinaMoto-Dealer-Expo-Report.mp4

Does anyone know how difficult is to get replacement parts from Bennche?

I read from another forum that the engine comes from SYM. I think its a reputable company in Taiwan. But this could be only for the 125 not the 250.

http://www.othermakes.net/2010/02/23/bennche-relieves-qlink-of-us-distribution-of-megelli/

Says that the bike is manufactured by Hisun, what is the reliability with this company?

I own a 2011 Megelli 250R. Although a great looking bike, there is room for improvement. There aren't many Megelli-authorised services around. The bike itself runs no problems but I do have difficulty starting it in the cold weather. The finish is not as good as a Kawasaki Ninja. Even the owner's manual is very amateur. Handling is very responsive but the vibration can be quite off-putting. I bought this bike over the Kawasaki Ninja because of its looks. A lot of people mistake it for a Ducati! In all other departments, the Ninja wins. If you weren't in a hurry, I'd personally wait until next year's model to see if they've made any improvements. Overall, I'm still very happy with the bike. ;)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 03:17:21 AM by da_vichy »

andymac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 03:02:48 AM »
My 250S is five month old and want to throw it away.......nothing but trouble since day one....electrical system shot, instrument panel keeps cutting out and all dials go back to zero and taco not giving correct reading...then after 6500KMS in five months of  use, not a lot of KMS, chain falls off at 90 KMS.  Dealer advise new chain required and NO warranty as normal wear and tear????? - have to buy new chain,  who are they trying to kid, five months and the chain is useless....what else is going to fail and then blamed on normal wear and tear when there is a 24 month warranty, bike will be thrown on the tip if I have to keep buying replacment parts that are under warranty.....all Megelli bike buyers - check your warranty as you will have your bikes at the dealers all the time to correct very poor workmanship on this bike....instrument panel will be repalced under warranty - after week still waiting for part....this is NOT a good bike to buy...stay right away from them.... would have been better to buy second hand Honda 250CB at same price as this Megelli 250S,,, 

d0_ob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 06:45:48 PM »
yea i found with these "type" of motorcycles its quite selective on groups of individuals it may suit.
I mean if your a ex racer nut like myself whos a bit overweight due to being winter and too many beers of course this motorcycle doesnt suit my usage. Mine wouldnt last 5 months like yours... it would of fallen apart after day 1.
But you are correct in that sometimes warranty shouldnt just be accurate and followed to the point. Sometimes compassion does come into it.
Have you tried complaining to the distributor?
I heard many cases where the distributor helping the end user with sticky situations.
The most important thing is if the distributor pisses u off and doesnt help you then of course your in trouble.
Where are you located in? which country and so forth? www.megelli.com and go from there basically!

andymac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 11:59:06 PM »
got my bike back, new instrutment panel...guess what!!!!...took it home,,,,next day went to start up.....panel dead....no life or readings ,,,,no taco etc etc.....is this company for real...they have produced a lemon of a bike and the poor unsuspecting buyers are spending good money for this crap bike....I now have to send it back to the dealer and wait till another panel is replaced...looks like another week without a bike to get to work......DO NOT BY A MEGELLI BIKE THEY A CRAP!!!!!!!]

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 02:21:28 PM »
Sounds like they are standing behind the warranty and replacing the tach? That is cool.

andymac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 12:38:41 PM »
would be cool...if it worked....have to wait for another panel and back to the dealer....workmanship on this bike is very very poor